What the hell do you fellow canucks use for stripping

All topics related to stripping techniques
EPC
My Location: Ontario, Canada

What the hell do you fellow canucks use for stripping

Post by EPC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am

and keep pole comments to a min.

Really though, up to now ihave been using EW's Dekote and haven't had a problem. Now that is after running out and you can no longer get gallon jugs anymore I am trying to figure out a suitable stripper to either replace the dekote or to hold me over until the dekote arrives.

I plan on getting a stripper tank set up using something like the paint/powder stripper but from the actual manufacture, dsolve is it? But thats a little bit away as I need to change around some stuff at the shop first.

Sooo, what the hell do you guys north of the invisible line use to strip your parts.
So far i have used super polly strip, Tal-strip II by mar-hyde(holly fumes batman) and a couple of other ones that have Methalyne Chloride(spelling) listed on the bottle.

I have red the topic a little further down and wrote down all the over the counter strippers mentioned in there and then went hunting. Well, if a good stripper was food and my parts were my family, lets just say we would all be dead. I tried HDepot, other home building locations as well as automotive paint suppliers. And there is nothing worth mentioning available.

We can't get B-17 up here, as far as I know, and I will be a month or so waiting for a 5 gal load of EW Dekote to arrive.

So how are the other Canucks making due.

Thanks

Harleydad
My Location:

Re: What the hell do you fellow canucks use for stripping

Post by Harleydad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 pm

There's a thread on one of the forums where someone toasted a 2K bike frame (remember that one).
It listed the supplier where he got the chemical.
I love my country, but fear my Government

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

Canada Mike
My Location:

Post by Canada Mike » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 pm

im only sandblasting up to now. I am ready to make the jump and would like all the input as well. Did you find out for sure that we can not get the B17 up here?

Bikemike
My Location:

Post by Bikemike » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 am

I have been using "circa 1850". The yellowish can from canadian tire or wally world. I think you can also get it at rona. The white one does nothing.
The yellow circa works, but it is slow and you will probably have to wire brush it to get everything off.
I did find a auto parts supply that has aircraft stripper, but I can't remember the name of the place and have not tried it yet.
I have had no luck at all on the B17 up here.

Found it, car quest has the aircraft stripper.

RideIndustries
My Location: Canada

Post by RideIndustries » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:56 am

You can get B17 shipped to you, you'll just have to pay for it. I'm just over an hour from the border so I had mine shipped to a depot and I went and picked it up. I still ended up paying $175 to get it shipped (55 gallon) to the depot but it was closer to $350 I believe plus brokerage, taxes etc. to have it shipped right to me. There is absolutley nothing stopping anyone from getting B17 in Canada.

I also have Stripe-Brite 227 from http://www.chembrite.ca/, It cost me $420 for 10 gallons shipped, then I ordered a drum (50 gallons or something like that) of it for $1000 shipped a few months later, original quote was $1300, he lowered it to $1000 when I asked if he could do any better and had mentioned the B17 and how there were plenty of reviews about how good it was.

I switched to the B17 as the Strip-Brite was starting to take forever (days) to strip things and everything had to be pressure washed to rinse the coating off or scrubbed with a brush. It's performance had drastically reduced from when it was new till when it was about a year old. The B17 works better then the Stripe-Brite when they are both brand new, but stinks a lot worse.

I've left aluminum rims in the Strip-brite for 2 weeks and there was no visible damage other then discoloration, which blasts off like nothing. I haven't left anything in the B17 for more then about 20 minutes as others have said it'll start to eat stuff. I use both products in HDPE barrels with removable lids, which I pay $55 for from a local company.

EPC
My Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by EPC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:34 am

Ride industries, is that 350 just for the shipping and brokerage fees?

I found a local chemical supply place that has a barrel of Methalyne chloride for S760 or something like that.
The company says that the sell it to ashphalt companying and department of trans for testing quality of asphalt. So it's not actual B-17 as the labe but it the chemical that B-17 is mainly comprised of. If that helps and other Canucks of their search.

However in my current situation i was desperate so i went up into the shed where i have soem stuff from over 10 years ago. I remebered reading a year or so back that Gasket remover can strip powder and when i got to the last self of crap in the shed there was a 10 year old can of the good stuff.

I said what the hell, i got nothing to loose at this point. I ran over to the shop and started tesing it. Fist on one of my own rims that is an OEM VW rim with the coating still intact. Sprayed a little bit on and went to get the cd player ready for the night. Came back 5 mins later and the coating was soft and starting to bubble. Holly Chit, i was almost runing around the shop with excitement. Then i tried it on the rims thati am stuck on now and sure enough, the 10 year old gasket remover did it's magic.

Now this isn't a permanant solution but it will get me out of this jam and I will always have a can or two on my self for emergencies. THsi stuff the the permatex brand gasket remover. THere is no metalyne chloride listed on the label but it works. I am also trying to cross reference with some MSDS sheet i am getting to see if there is another alternative. I was even on the horn with an eastwood distributor last night while we both tried to figure out a way to get our hands on the guys that make Dekote for eastwood. ( I know this isn't a P365 product but it is one of only a few products i use by them) Eastwood no longer sells dekote in anything less than 55 gals which is like $1400 to buy. That is despite what they say on thier website.

Cheers.

RideIndustries
My Location: Canada

Post by RideIndustries » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:59 pm

$350 was just the freight charge, brokerage and taxes were still extra. My total cost to get the B17 was a little bit less then the cost of the Strip-Brite, but I also had to drive an hour and a bit each way to get it.

tr4dude
My Location:

Post by tr4dude » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Give this company a try, I deliver all kinds of chemicals to the coating industries and they have a canadian branch. :D

http://www.univarcanada.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quality is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.

Bikemike
My Location:

Post by Bikemike » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:31 am

Got this message from a place in BC. Have a look at the info and lets get a few opinions. I think the price is not to bad. He knows I am in Ontario. (I told him) so the shipping seems pretty low.

Not sure what they mean by the evaporation thing. Is it water sitting on top of the stripper that stops it???

I tried to attach a couple of PDF's, but it don't work. Is this normal?
Copy and pasted.

Dear Mike;

Thanks for your inquiry. Attached are the info sheets for the two different types of powder coating removers we manufacture. It comes in 5G or 55G. The pricing on a 5G is $199 + 30 SH. I will be able to provide you with a more accurate pricing for 55G drums based on your volume of consumption.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Sean Habibi
General Manager
Top Chemical Industries Inc.
Unit B - 1401 Crown St.
North Vancouver, B.C.
Canada V7J 1G5
Tel: 604-988-2331 ext: 101
Toll: 888-331-3371 ext: 101
E-mail: Sean@topchemicals.com
http://www.TopChemicals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HOOK PAINT STRIPPER
(MCH 5000-I)
Hook paint stripper MCH 5000‐I is designed to be used in immersion tanks and for removing tough powder coatings from unique shaped parts and hooks. It is meant to be used on steel surfaces and should be used with care when stripping aluminum. It is a fast acting paint remover that takes only 2‐3 hours to remove multiple layers of powder and is by far the most effective paint removing system in the market.
DIRECTION: Fully immerse the painted parts in the solution; then allow sufficient time so that the paint stripper dwells on them and loosens the paint.
Then transfer the parts from the tank to a spray rinse area. *High pressure cold water rinsing is recommended.
PROPERTIES: Liquid with a 10% by value, seal.
EVAPORTATION: Product will evaporate quite rapidly if the seal is not maintained at 10% volume or at a minimum of 3 to 4 inches by adding tap water.
CONCENTRATION: Use full strength, as received; maintain 10% volume seal by adding tap water.
EQUIPMENT: Steel dip tank with adequate ventilation. Face shields or goggles and resistant gloves, boots and clothing are recommended for personnel.
Refer to product label or MSDS for additional precaution and handling information.
CAUTION: Hook Paint Stripper contains chlorinated solvents. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Exercise caution in opening containers, since material may have a tendency to spurt. Use with adequate ventilation. Put a rag over the lid and open container slowly. This product will damage the majority of all indoor and outdoor finished surfaces, including drive ways. Protect work area with poly ethylene plastic or foil sheet during use.

Bikemike
My Location:

Post by Bikemike » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:34 am

Enviro stuff

HOOK PAINT STRIPPER
B-1401 Crown Street North Vancouver, BC Canada V7J-1G5
Tel :(604) 988-2331 Fax:(604) 988-2350 Toll Free:(888) 331 3371 http://www.Topchemicals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(EFH 6600-I) FEATURES:
Hook paint stripper EFH 6600‐I is an immersion type, environmentally friendly paint remover that removes powder coating and variety of lacquers by penetrating down to the metal and breaking the bond with the coating system and the substrate.
ADVANTAGES: