Advice on how to remove paint without removing powder coat

All topics related to stripping techniques
Kds102586
My Location: Here

Advice on how to remove paint without removing powder coat

Post by Kds102586 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi,

I have a steel tanker desk that hast been brush painted with either latex or oil based paint. They painted over a white powder coated finish. I am
Wondering if I can use a paint stripper to remove just the top coat without removing the original powder coated finish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Advice on how to remove paint without removing powder coat

Post by Jay V » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:03 am

I would try a product that is designed to remove latex paint like GoofOff or GooGone - I'm pretty sure that's the name.

Try a small area and see what happens. Don't saturate it any more than you need to. Sometimes, if little or no prep was done to the powder, you can use compressed air to get under the paint and blow it off.

If you do get it to come off of the powder using a chemical, I think you may need to do some buffing or polishing to get a gloss to the powder.

Next step would be something like Acetone to soften the paint, but hopefully not the powder.

I would be careful using a scraper of any kind.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:05 am

What it would take to remove crappy paint like that would also mess up and remove the powder.

Years ago they made a paste like paint remover and I think it came in a powder form and you would mix it and then apply and it showed it could remove X numbers of layers at a time. I think it was designed for removing that type of paint. I doubt it would hurt the powder. I had some at one time but that was many many years ago and I think it did work?

Try searching for a paste type remover and see what you can find and best of luck with your project. :)

Goo Gone is the best and I never had much luck with Goof Off
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wiseguyz
My Location: Fargo, ND

Post by Wiseguyz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:57 am

Duke, I know when I Goof Off, nothing gets done. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That being said, I don't think you're going to have any luck removing paint without affecting the powder, sorry. You should probably plan on blasting and re-powdercoating the desk. Much more time and cost effective in the long run.