Window shields - duralar

All topics related to stripping techniques
duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Window shields - duralar

Post by duke46 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 am

SweetPowder wrote:so does this have some kind of sticky on it on one side or do you just tape it ?

his cabinet looks to be made of wood. He said he uses push pins to hold it.

They make the double sided tape and I used it for a while and then just started using reg auto grade paint tape. Just have to make sure the glass is real clean so it will stay.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SweetPowder
My Location: Dumas,Texas

Post by SweetPowder » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 am

It read like it didnt have any sticky on it..thanks

duke46

Post by duke46 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

SweetPowder wrote:It read like it didn't have any sticky on it..thanks
When you buy it pre cut from some companies then you will pay dearly for it being pre cut and the sticky on it. That company I guess does that but it would not come in a 1500' roll that way.

I used to buy the ones that were pre cut with the tape and then I really started doing some work and told my self that this will cost me a lot over time and started buying it by the roll.

For the hobby guy that just does a little in his spare time then the cost of the pre cut ones is not that bad because they might last them 3 months to a year depending on how much they blast. EW charges way to much for them but there are a couple of other companies that have a way better price and also sell them in a larger quantity.

What I have found out over time and people blasting in my cabinet and how long my shields last depends on three things. 1 how long their arms are. My granddaughter has short arms and she could take out one of them real quick. 2 my friend next door could not see that well and he had longer arms but had to have the piece closer to the shield to see what he was doing. My son saw that and told him he needed the part further back so they would last longer. He did as he was instructed and then we got my use out of the shield. 3 try to shoot at an angle and this will help on the bounce back and also removes more material. But when you are having to shoot into a wheel you can't do much about it. The media is going to bounce right back at you.

isaac338
My Location:

Window shields - duralar

Post by isaac338 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:54 am

Grafix listed some sticky-one-side Duralar in the offcuts section the other day. I just use pushpins but if I had a steel cabinet i'd use magnets.

SweetPowder
My Location: Dumas,Texas

Post by SweetPowder » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I just have HF cabinet it is small and i go through the shields pretty fast. I was instructed that i was using way to much pressure at first.. noob more is better right..nope.. now i get a little more use out of them but this stuff should get me alot more time before i have to change it.
Thanks for posting this

isaac338
My Location:

Post by isaac338 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

SweetPowder wrote:I just have HF cabinet it is small and i go through the shields pretty fast. I was instructed that i was using way to much pressure at first.. noob more is better right..nope.. now i get a little more use out of them but this stuff should get me alot more time before i have to change it.
Thanks for posting this
No problem. I tried all kinds of crap before I finally got some Duralar. Just blasted two more bike frames today and it's only now starting to become difficult to see through.

rbroker
My Location:

Post by rbroker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Shit, I got rolls of clear liner from work, (printing) and I get about 1 hour before its toast. Good thing I have thousands of feet of it.

You could call a material supplier and get a sample roll of a few hundred feet for free. Just ask for a .001-.01 mil (thats 1-10 mil)clear poly liner.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Adrenalinecustoms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EPC
My Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by EPC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:34 pm

The size of dust collector and speed of air movement across cabinet also factors into how long the glass sheilds last. I get a long time out of mine before etched too much to see through. Usually I need to wipe screen to remove dust a few times before sheild is too etched to see through but other than that it holds up pretty good. Use a wet cloth for first wipe off so you dont further etch while cleaning. I am still buying precut ones but love the idea of buying this stuff by the roll.

Currently the pre cuts I have locally are 50% longer than my window. So when I cut off excess I put the excess piece over the full sheild. So its is like a peel off. I find the right side of my sheild gets etched first so I place spare pice on risht side of glass. When its etched I peel it off, takes a couple of secs, and half of window is crystal clear again.

Also, as duke mentioned, the angle you blast parts at and distance also effect the life of the sheilds. gotta crack the whip when helpers are blasting. lol. I has to give the missis chit from time to time as she used to not mind eating up the sheild in the time it would take to blast a valve cover.

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:15 pm

CINDY!!!!

STICKY THIS THREAD~!

It's a definitely important item that is asked about more often than once a year....

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

duke46

Post by duke46 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:45 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:CINDY!!!!

STICKY THIS THREAD~!

It's a definitely important item that is asked about more often than once a year....
+++++100 :D