Window shields - duralar

All topics related to stripping techniques
rbroker
My Location:

Re: Window shields - duralar

Post by rbroker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:55 pm

I've thought about just taking the stuff I have and sheeting it on press to 24" long. Then selling to u guys. But then I have to pay for press time at 150 hour!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Adrenalinecustoms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alleykat
My Location:

Post by alleykat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:56 pm

What I dont like about the stuff in rolls is it wants to roll back up so bad.Gives me a hard time taping it on and staying versus using the pricier flat pieces/pre cut stuff.

T1CC
My Location:

Window shields - duralar

Post by T1CC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 pm

alleykat wrote:What I dont like about the stuff in rolls is it wants to roll back up so bad.Gives me a hard time taping it on and staying versus using the pricier flat pieces/pre cut stuff.
you can avoid that by rolling out what you need & laying the window down over top of it. Make the cut & Slide 1 side over the edge of your table & tape it. Then you can flip it & tape the other 3 sides.

SweetPowder
My Location: Dumas,Texas

Post by SweetPowder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:26 pm

I have found on unruly plastic that wants to curl back up is use a hair dryer and warm it up makes relax and lay pretty flat .

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:35 pm

All excellent input. I have used the stuff (Bought a very small amount and still have a piece left).... It's not too bad price wise, and I've learned that it's not really all that bad to make it sit flat enough to tape on the glass.... My problem is having to take the glass out to put a new piece on.... so I find myself just stripping it off when in need, and never putting it back on. The big reason for all the hassle is having a Cheap HF cabinet that has terrible design for window replacement. But I'm working on mods for that as well.... Duralar is excellent stuff either way. Source it at your convenience and buying level.

try this as a test run place to see if you like using it.... you have to cut it yourself.... but for a first timer, it'll give you an idea of what you're looking for.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.a ... mId=156124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

T1CC
My Location:

Window shields - duralar

Post by T1CC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Scott, I have that cheap small cabinet too with 20 something screws & loose nuts. My solution was to pull it all off & only use the outer lexan window. I dont use the frame anymore cause it takes too long to pull it off & replace. I just put the window back in place & tape it to the blaster.

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 am

T1CC wrote:Scott, I have that cheap small cabinet too with 20 something screws & loose nuts. My solution was to pull it all off & only use the outer lexan window. I dont use the frame anymore cause it takes too long to pull it off & replace. I just put the window back in place & tape it to the blaster.
I've considered that as well.... What I have come to though, is to find some "riv-nuts" and install them around the thing, so i don't have to crawl inside to change it out. And I'll probably put a doubler on the inside to help make it stronger.I'll use slightly shorter than necessary screws,and put a dab of Urethane caulking on the inside if I can't find closed threads....

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

T1CC
My Location:

Window shields - duralar

Post by T1CC » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 am

Riv nuts will work nicely!

ed1966ss
My Location:

Post by ed1966ss » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:10 pm

I've posted this solution once before, but here goes again. Find some scrap single pane window glass and cut a piece slightly smaller than your blast cabinet window. Remove and clean the blast cabinet window and lie the single pane glass flat on top. Take some silicone sealant or similar type caulking and run a bead around the edge. Once it's dry replace the window. When it eventually needs replacing take a knife and slice around the sealant to free the single pane glass.

Single pane glass is very hard and after months of blasting I can barely see a change in the glass. I learned this trick from a friend who works for a pump/seal rebuilding company. They use this setup and can go a couple months blasting hours a day before the glass needs replacing. I'm willing to bet if you try it you will never go back to any type of film.
Last edited by ed1966ss on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fang
My Location:

Post by fang » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am

ed1966ss wrote:I've posted this solution once before, but here goes again. Find some scrap single pane window glass and cut a piece slightly smaller than your blast cabinet window. Clean the blast cabinet window and lie the single pane glass flat. Take some silicone sealant or similar type caulking and run a bead around the edge. Once it's dry replace the window. When if eventually needs replaced take a knife and slice around the sealant to free the single pane glass.

Single pane glass is very hard and after months of blasting I can barely see a change in the glass. I learn this solution from a friend that works for a pump/seal rebuilding company. They use this solution and can go a couple months in an plant that is blasting hours a day. I'm willing to bet if you try it you will never go back to any type of film.

What thickness are you using? I think I'll give this a try ;)
It's all fun till the cops show up
http://pro-tec-powdercoating.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;