Window shields - duralar

All topics related to stripping techniques
duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Window shields - duralar

Post by duke46 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:36 am

About any thickness should work from what would go in a picture frame to house window glass but wouldn't want it to heavy and it try to fall away if at an angle but you could always tape it in place till the silicon sets.

With my cabinet being upright I do have thing that bump into mine and the duralar does help it a lot. If I as to do that and with the space between my glass and the silicon to the other glass then odd would be I would break it. That is the only reason I have not done it yet :(
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ed1966ss
My Location:

Post by ed1966ss » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:51 am

fang wrote:
ed1966ss wrote:I've posted this solution once before, but here goes again. Find some scrap single pane window glass and cut a piece slightly smaller than your blast cabinet window. Clean the blast cabinet window and lie the single pane glass flat. Take some silicone sealant or similar type caulking and run a bead around the edge. Once it's dry replace the window. When if eventually needs replaced take a knife and slice around the sealant to free the single pane glass.

Single pane glass is very hard and after months of blasting I can barely see a change in the glass. I learn this solution from a friend that works for a pump/seal rebuilding company. They use this solution and can go a couple months in an plant that is blasting hours a day. I'm willing to bet if you try it you will never go back to any type of film.

What thickness are you using? I think I'll give this a try ;)
Just regular single pane window glass. Don't put the sealant under the glass, lie the glass flat and run the sealant around the edges. Once it dries replace the window. If your window isn't removable then you will need to find a method of holding the glass in place until the sealant can dry.

I use my cabinet a lot and the window glass is still almost crystal clear.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:41 am

well DUH and like in the song WHAT WAS I THINKING. Yep under the glass would be messy and spread like hell.

OK so I had a blond moment :oops: :lol: :lol:

I will go Bach to the Shovelhead forum where I am getting help on finishing up my sons bike build. Those guys are like us and answer ASAP. One fourm I was on I never got an answer and then another one might take a day or two and one of those guys sent me over to the Shovelhead one and every question has been answered and very helpful advice also. :D

PowderWorx
My Location:

Post by PowderWorx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 am

So how much did grafix plastics charge you guys for shipping the offcuts. I ordered an 800ft roll of .002 mil for 41.47 and asked the guy how much for shipping. He didnt know until the order would process but was gonna send it fedex ground. I just said whatever is cheapest. I see my ccard has been charged $92.00 WTF, 50 bucks for shipping, are you kidding me? It says on the site it only weighs 11lbs and fedex ground is quoting me 22 bucks using that. So im just trying to figure out where they come up with 50 to ship. Ok end rant I know im saving like $900 over the life of the roll but still.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:25 am

PowderWorx wrote:So how much did grafix plastics charge you guys for shipping the offcuts. I ordered an 800ft roll of .002 mil for 41.47 and asked the guy how much for shipping. He didnt know until the order would process but was gonna send it fedex ground. I just said whatever is cheapest. I see my ccard has been charged $92.00 WTF, 50 bucks for shipping, are you kidding me? It says on the site it only weighs 11lbs and fedex ground is quoting me 22 bucks using that. So im just trying to figure out where they come up with 50 to ship. Ok end rant I know im saving like $900 over the life of the roll but still.

.002 is right thin and what I bought was .007 and that was the same thickness as east wood sells. i would have to go back and find my invoice to se what they charged on shipping but I know it was not that exp and my roll was 100'x36" something does not sound right on the shipping but they do charge you more when spending under $100 so maybe that is what the extra cost was and he forgot to tell you? the lady I talked to when I ordered mine told me right up front. My order was like 97 and she said that was close enough :D If I would write myself a note I will stop by the glass shop and try that out like Ed said. But if I ever have a short arm person blasting in my cabinet then I will cover the glass up.

spdracr
My Location:

Post by spdracr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 am

those r some expensive shipping rates!!

ed1966ss
My Location:

Post by ed1966ss » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 am

duke46 wrote: If I would write myself a note I will stop by the glass shop and try that out like Ed said. But if I ever have a short arm person blasting in my cabinet then I will cover the glass up.
Give it a try Duke, I guarantee that you will never go back to another type window shield again.

noreason
My Location:

Window shields - duralar

Post by noreason » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Or you can do what I do and buff them out. Saves money, it's quick and isn't hard at all.

http://youtu.be/xObCc58WP8M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teamdooracer
My Location:

Post by teamdooracer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm

How much did your window glass cost you. I called last summer to try and have that done and they told me it was going to be about $40 bucks. So I just strolled into our local hardware store one day looking for a local solution, and they had clear plastic that was in a giant roll. I don't remember the exact size. It was 4mil thickness for $14.

noreason
My Location:

Window shields - duralar

Post by noreason » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm

teamdooracer wrote:How much did your window glass cost you. I called last summer to try and have that done and they told me it was going to be about $40 bucks. So I just strolled into our local hardware store one day looking for a local solution, and they had clear plastic that was in a giant roll. I don't remember the exact size. It was 4mil thickness for $14.
Me? It was free, I found it. It's safety glass with plastic in the center. I cut it myself to size.

You can see my build at my blog: http://www.smecca.com/2011/02/how-to-bu ... g-cabinet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or search how to build a sandblasting cabinet in google and it should pop up.