HF Sandblast Cabinet vs HF Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

All topics related to stripping techniques
PaulPC
My Location: Central Jersey

HF Sandblast Cabinet vs HF Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

Post by PaulPC » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Hey all. I'm stuck and need your help. I'm having trouble deciding whether I should purchase the HF blast cabinet or the HF Pressurized Blaster and build a cabinet. I will be using b17 to strip my parts and will be using the blast cabinet or hf pressurized blaster for profile. Parts that I will be working on are car wheels and motorcycle parts. This is only a hobby. I have a Puma 3hp 60 gallon air compressor. Thank you.

teamdooracer
My Location:

Re: HF Sandblast Cabinet vs HF Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

Post by teamdooracer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Your compressor isn't really big enough for either. IMO, I'd buy the pot and build the cabinet. You can build a fairly good sized cabinet for fairly cheap. Also, I believe I have a coupon code that makes the pressure pot around $90. Just PM me if you'd like it.

RiegelPC
My Location: NJ

Post by RiegelPC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 pm

Both of them could work. I'm not sure what the max size wheel you could fit in the blast cabinet. Just make sure your running a smaller tip and give your compressor a rest so you don't over run it. My guess it will take you at least 30min to complete one rim. If you have the funds I would get the pot blaster and make a descent size cabinet.

PaulPC

Post by PaulPC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 pm

teamdooracer wrote:Your compressor isn't really big enough for either. IMO, I'd buy the pot and build the cabinet. You can build a fairly good sized cabinet for fairly cheap. Also, I believe I have a coupon code that makes the pressure pot around $90. Just PM me if you'd like it.
Will do. Thank you

PaulPC

Post by PaulPC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 pm

RiegelPC wrote:Both of them could work. I'm not sure what the max size wheel you could fit in the blast cabinet. Just make sure your running a smaller tip and give your compressor a rest so you don't over run it. My guess it will take you at least 30min to complete one rim. If you have the funds I would get the pot blaster and make a descent size cabinet.
Thanks for the info. I'm a college student working a part time job. If I save up i think it possible to build a blast cabinet.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

PaulPC wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm a college student working a part time job. If I save up i think it possible to build a blast cabinet.
Don't forget to add in a vacuum setup to pull the media dust out of your cabinet. HF does sell them and they work great but just like any vacuum they are very noisy. If you just use a shop vacuum you need a good filter and they are expensive and you can build what else you need without a lot of bucks.

Just let us know and ask questions and we should be able to help you out.

But there is more to blasting and just a compressor and blasters. The compressor makes water when used a lot and can clog up your blaster in a heartbeat.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PaulPC

Post by PaulPC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:25 pm

duke46 wrote:
PaulPC wrote:
Don't forget to add in a vacuum setup to pull the media dust out of your cabinet. HF does sell them and they work great but just like any vacuum they are very noisy. If you just use a shop vacuum you need a good filter and they are expensive and you can build what else you need without a lot of bucks.

Just let us know and ask questions and we should be able to help you out.

But there is more to blasting and just a compressor and blasters. The compressor makes water when used a lot and can clog up your blaster in a heartbeat.
Thanks duke! I have alot of questions and reading on this forum gave me alot of information. Just wondering how much would a decent size cabinet cost me to make? Just to fit wheels, motorcycle parts, bicycle frames and maybe the largest part a motorcycle frame.

gaspowder
My Location: california

Post by gaspowder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:25 pm

its no to expensive to build a cabinet. mine is 4.5W x 3.5D and plenty tall enough, made out of plywood and 2x4's for under $400 and the inside is lined with sheet metal! just make sure you go bigger then you think you would need so you don't end up squeezing around parts!

PaulPC

Post by PaulPC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:13 pm

gaspowder wrote:its no to expensive to build a cabinet. mine is 4.5W x 3.5D and plenty tall enough, made out of plywood and 2x4's for under $400 and the inside is lined with sheet metal! just make sure you go bigger then you think you would need so you don't end up squeezing around parts!
Thank you gaspowder! Just wondering do you have any pictures of your cabinet?

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Home made blast cabinet builds are easy to find on the net. I could also send you my build but it is an upright on and large. Easy to do a rear end in and other larger parts. I use it 90% of the time and my reg normal cabinet 10%.

Click on my site under this post and then go to contact and fill in the info needed and I can email the pictures and build info.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;