HF Sandblast Cabinet vs HF Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

All topics related to stripping techniques
PaulPC
My Location: Central Jersey

Re: HF Sandblast Cabinet vs HF Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

Post by PaulPC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:31 pm

duke46 wrote:Home made blast cabinet builds are easy to find on the net. I could also send you my build but it is an upright on and large. Easy to do a rear end in and other larger parts. I use it 90% of the time and my reg normal cabinet 10%.

Click on my site under this post and then go to contact and fill in the info needed and I can email the pictures and build info.
Alright sounds good. Thank you!

xkreedx
My Location:

Post by xkreedx » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm

I made my cabinet 4x3x5 and it cost me around 140 to build from 2x4s and plywood. I lined mine with rubber mat on the walls and a metal bottom to help aid drainage

PaulPC

Re:

Post by PaulPC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:21 pm

xkreedx wrote:I made my cabinet 4x3x5 and it cost me around 140 to build from 2x4s and plywood. I lined mine with rubber mat on the walls and a metal bottom to help aid drainage
Thanks for the info! Do you have any pictures of your build?

boostnm3
My Location: North Carolina

Post by boostnm3 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:30 pm

If i were you i wouldnt even waste money on the harbor freight cabinet. I had one of the floor models and you cant fit any wheels bigger than 15" in it. Even 15" is very tight if you have to move it around. I ended up selling it and getting a Skat Blast Cabinet 4' wide. Plenty big enough for any wheels you will want to do. It works 100 times better than the harbor freight. I also added a pressure pot to it. With siphon it worked good, just slower. With pressure pot ported in the cabinet i can blast a whole atv wheel in around 5 min. Night and day difference.

Save your money for a better cabinet or build one, dont waste money on the harbor freight.

PaulPC

Post by PaulPC » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 pm

boostnm3 wrote:If i were you i wouldnt even waste money on the harbor freight cabinet. I had one of the floor models and you cant fit any wheels bigger than 15" in it. Even 15" is very tight if you have to move it around. I ended up selling it and getting a Skat Blast Cabinet 4' wide. Plenty big enough for any wheels you will want to do. It works 100 times better than the harbor freight. I also added a pressure pot to it. With siphon it worked good, just slower. With pressure pot ported in the cabinet i can blast a whole atv wheel in around 5 min. Night and day difference.

Save your money for a better cabinet or build one, dont waste money on the harbor freight.
I would love to buy a blast cabinet but I don't have the funds for the cabinet and a bigger air compressor.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Re:

Post by duke46 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:30 am

PaulPC wrote:
xkreedx wrote:I made my cabinet 4x3x5 and it cost me around 140 to build from 2x4s and plywood. I lined mine with rubber mat on the walls and a metal bottom to help aid drainage
Thanks for the info! Do you have any pictures of your build?
Have you searched like I suggested on here and the net yet? They can be found almost any where.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:55 pm

forgot about this link. It goes at least 8 pages. The use of the old oval oil drum looks nice size.

http://www.homemadetools.net/category/media-blasting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PaulPC

Post by PaulPC » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 am

duke46 wrote:forgot about this link. It goes at least 8 pages. The use of the old oval oil drum looks nice size.

http://www.homemadetools.net/category/media-blasting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks duke. Sorry been busy with school.I'll send you an email shortly about your build.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:01 am

PaulPC wrote:
duke46 wrote:forgot about this link. It goes at least 8 pages. The use of the old oval oil drum looks nice size.

Thanks duke. Sorry been busy with school.I'll send you an email shortly about your build.
Sent you all the info on mine so you should be set. I like the upright because of what it can handle size wise. Depending on how long your arms are then sometimes you can set down. Blast cabinet are just not made to be set down friendly :( unless you are doing the same size stuff over and oven then one could design one for that.

I looked at all the ones in the home made tool link and there are some great builds and some very cheep if you can find what you need and have a way to cut metal.

InfantryMP
My Location: Savannah, GA

Post by InfantryMP » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:03 pm

I own the blast cabinet, and I owned the Abrasive blaster. I returned the abrasive blaster after messing with it for a week, I could not get it to blast anything more than 3 minutes at a time. I got fed up with tinkering with it, and I tried the syphon feed from the cabinet and it works 100x better for me. I just wish the cabinet was constructed a little better, not that I am complaining hardcore, but there is always room for improvement. The lighting in the blast cabinet is horrible as well.