Blast room in trailer?

All topics related to stripping techniques
repsolracer22
My Location:

Re: Blast room in trailer?

Post by repsolracer22 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:36 pm

9guy9 wrote:A shipping container is 10 times stronger than a trailer. And about a third the price. I work for the rail road and all our mechanical shops/storage buildings are shipping containers. I would sell the trailer and use the money to get a shipping container and set it up nicely.
but the shipping container cannot be moved around. A trailer obviously can. these sea containers are a S.O.B to deal with and move around. They are pretty much fixed where they sit

Khameleon_Koatings
My Location:

Post by Khameleon_Koatings » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 am

yeah a 20' weighs over 5000lbs.

i thought about it when doing my booth- but just too damn heavy- now if you can find one that is made of aluminum...you have a 1/3 of the weight...and there is one in my local area for sale for 1K i believe still. all aluminum.

if it were me...id make that trailer into an oven...but thats just me.

wish mine was 20' or bigger...(mine only 16') but if i had a 20'-26' oven...I would put a divider in at/around 10' so i could use just 10' or the whole 24' of it for baking.

i would also be carefull with just exhausting the blast dust out to the outside....not sure how or where you plan to do this...but blowing out the dust gets it out of your way fine...but what about all the crap (paint /coatings) you are blasting off- it will then go into the atmosphere with no filtering. off my blast room, i have two DC's one is 3hp and other is 2hp and they both have the nano-filters from wynn-enviromental.

i would be concerned about having someone come by and see that you are simply blowing it out of the box into the air- with no filter trying to catch most of the dust....idk just thinking out loud and maybe saving you headache down the road.
HERE WE ARE: http://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RandyH
My Location: Md

Post by RandyH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:45 am

repsolracer22 wrote:
RandyH wrote:I have a 24ft trailer I would love to make some kind of trade with you. Mine is not as nice and I never got a title, so it would be perfect for what you want to do.

Randy

post up pics & info
I have it sold if I come with a title, will see what happens with that first.

repsolracer22
My Location:

Post by repsolracer22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 am

Khameleon_Koatings wrote:yeah a 20' weighs over 5000lbs.

i thought about it when doing my booth- but just too damn heavy- now if you can find one that is made of aluminum...you have a 1/3 of the weight...and there is one in my local area for sale for 1K i believe still. all aluminum.

if it were me...id make that trailer into an oven...but thats just me.

wish mine was 20' or bigger...(mine only 16') but if i had a 20'-26' oven...I would put a divider in at/around 10' so i could use just 10' or the whole 24' of it for baking.

i would also be carefull with just exhausting the blast dust out to the outside....not sure how or where you plan to do this...but blowing out the dust gets it out of your way fine...but what about all the crap (paint /coatings) you are blasting off- it will then go into the atmosphere with no filtering. off my blast room, i have two DC's one is 3hp and other is 2hp and they both have the nano-filters from wynn-enviromental.

i would be concerned about having someone come by and see that you are simply blowing it out of the box into the air- with no filter trying to catch most of the dust....idk just thinking out loud and maybe saving you headache down the road.
thanks for the info. send me the listing for the aluminum one. that would be awesome.

at this point, im only looking for a blasting solution. I need to have a room of some sort that can be used for blasting and be relatively reliable. the sea container i called about weighs 4500lbs the guy says. if i use my trailer i can move it around or even take it out to a field :)

Khameleon_Koatings
My Location:

Post by Khameleon_Koatings » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:38 am

tbh i believe they weigh 5500; iirc think thats the tare on mine anyways...

there is no listing for that AL one i was talking about- just a guy locally i ran into that has one and said he would sell for 1k...i could go to his place and see if he still has and/or get his # and make that connection for you
HERE WE ARE: http://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

repsolracer22
My Location:

Post by repsolracer22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:41 pm

I bought a 24" tube axial fan. Did the velocity & CFM calculation and for the trailer OR the sea container, this fan with do the job. Its a 1hp 7 blade beast of a fan!

Im assuming 2 vents in back of trailer will work for new air to enter and the fan will clear the room fairly well? The fane weighs like 150lbs though ... think the wall of the trailer will hold it?

On the outside of container/trailer, should I pipe the fan down into a barrel of water to catch some of dust? or another method?

repsolracer22
My Location:

Post by repsolracer22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:41 pm

I bought a 24" tube axial fan. Did the velocity & CFM calculation and for the trailer OR the sea container, this fan with do the job. Its a 1hp 7 blade beast of a fan!

Im assuming 2 vents in back of trailer will work for new air to enter and the fan will clear the room fairly well? The fane weighs like 150lbs though ... think the wall of the trailer will hold it?

On the outside of container/trailer, should I pipe the fan down into a barrel of water to catch some of dust? or another method?

Khameleon_Koatings
My Location:

Post by Khameleon_Koatings » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:49 pm

im almost thinking that if you put like a thick blanket or furnace filters on the suck side of fan (inside booth area), perhaps that will catch a bunch of crap for you as you blast...but i bet it gets clogged/strained easily/quickly...and just would have to be sure to clean out whavere you use/figure out.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Dust will just set on top of water. I had posted before about using a fine mist water wall that th dust would have to try an go through and the water will just push it down to the ground. That is if you water feature does not freeze up in the winter.

You said something about blasting out in a field so why don't you set your trailer where it is convenient and run some duct work toward the field and go from there. You can also add a diffuser on the end to break it up or even bushes.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

repsolracer22
My Location:

Post by repsolracer22 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:17 am

thanks for all the help so far.

i have kind of decided against the trailer because it really needs to be lined with steel sheets on the inside so walls and floor dont get F'ed up. and that's about $1000 in steel alone. Yes its a trailer and its portable, so that's why i still like the idea. but maybe buying a sea container is the better way to go perhaps? although those have hardwood floors i believe?? walls are steel but floors arent? crap