No more b17 for me

All topics related to stripping techniques
LPC
My Location:

No more b17 for me

Post by LPC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Well i like that stuff a lot but i will be moving the shop soon and i wont be able to use any chemical strippers there. What kind of set ups are some of you using to blast powder, rust , paint , ect.
Go Powder Coat or go to hell

LPC
My Location:

Re: No more b17 for me

Post by LPC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:16 pm

No one? wow ok .....well im thinking maybe a quality pressure pot blast with A/O should work.

Detective Coating
My Location: Colonial Heights, VA

Post by Detective Coating » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Do you have to move to a new shop? What restrictions do you have on the no chemicals there? You're going to have a hell of a time blasting off powder on aluminum pieces without doing any damage. Can you even use aircraft paint stripper there? I couldn't imagine not being able to use a chemical of some sort. Could you soak them in lacquer overnight to loosen it at least?
http://www.detectivecoating.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPpowdercoating
My Location: Johnson City NY

Post by RPpowdercoating » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I agree I don't know exactly how you would be able to blast soft metals.
There are many chemicals out there now that are eco-friendly without any effects on the human respiratory system, hydrochloric acid free if your concerned about the safety of yourself. There are not a whole lot of powder coaters out there that are just blasting things to get coatings off just because of the effects it can have on metal your talking a whole lot of pressure to have any sort of impact on most coatings.

LPC
My Location:

Post by LPC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Detective Coating wrote:Do you have to move to a new shop? What restrictions do you have on the no chemicals there? You're going to have a hell of a time blasting off powder on aluminum pieces without doing any damage. Can you even use aircraft paint stripper there? I couldn't imagine not being able to use a chemical of some sort. Could you soak them in lacquer overnight to loosen it at least?
Dont really have to move but this new place is in a great location that will bring more revenue. the price to rent is excellent too. but the only catch is no chemicals what so ever. Trust me i've been using b17 for the past 5 years and don't know how to live without it.

LPC
My Location:

Post by LPC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:45 pm

RPpowdercoating wrote:I agree I don't know exactly how you would be able to blast soft metals.
There are many chemicals out there now that are eco-friendly without any effects on the human respiratory system, hydrochloric acid free if your concerned about the safety of yourself. There are not a whole lot of powder coaters out there that are just blasting things to get coatings off just because of the effects it can have on metal your talking a whole lot of pressure to have any sort of impact on most coatings.
Yea i agree with you, i have spoke with the owner of the building and told him about the eco friendly stuff out there but he didn't budge on allowing it

Detective Coating

Post by Detective Coating » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:37 pm

LPC wrote:
Detective Coating wrote:Do you have to move to a new shop? What restrictions do you have on the no chemicals there? You're going to have a hell of a time blasting off powder on aluminum pieces without doing any damage. Can you even use aircraft paint stripper there? I couldn't imagine not being able to use a chemical of some sort. Could you soak them in lacquer overnight to loosen it at least?
Dont really have to move but this new place is in a great location that will bring more revenue. the price to rent is excellent too. but the only catch is no chemicals what so ever. Trust me i've been using b17 for the past 5 years and don't know how to live without it.
Here's what you do then. Before you sign a lease, attempt to work without the use of any chemicals. Your time is $ and spending hours blasting off shit that took you 10 minutes in a chemical bath is going to eat up that $ difference that you see with moving there. If he doesn't want any type of chemicals, makes me wonder how he'd be with blasting/powder dust, etc. I'd have a very hard time taking a big step backwards like that. I'm sure we all remember how bad it sucked to strip parts before we knew of good chemicals or before we had a decent blaster. We worked our asses off during that stage and found/made, better/more efficient ways of doing things to save us time and money. Going back to that is just wasting time and money, if you don't have to, in my opinion. I'd pass on the opportunity and maybe look for another building in the area, if it's the area that is going to bring in more revenue.

LPC
My Location:

Post by LPC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Detective Coating wrote:
LPC wrote:
Here's what you do then. Before you sign a lease, attempt to work without the use of any chemicals. Your time is $ and spending hours blasting off shit that took you 10 minutes in a chemical bath is going to eat up that $ difference that you see with moving there. If he doesn't want any type of chemicals, makes me wonder how he'd be with blasting/powder dust, etc. I'd have a very hard time taking a big step backwards like that. I'm sure we all remember how bad it sucked to strip parts before we knew of good chemicals or before we had a decent blaster. We worked our asses off during that stage and found/made, better/more efficient ways of doing things to save us time and money. Going back to that is just wasting time and money, if you don't have to, in my opinion. I'd pass on the opportunity and maybe look for another building in the area, if it's the area that is going to bring in more revenue.
Well said brotha, thats one of the reasons i why asking i just dont want to go in head first without even trying something first, and tell me about it before b 17 i used everything else for the first 3 years and when i found b17 it was awesome living, hes fine with coating and blasting when i told him what setups i have. the more i think about it the more i am steering away from moving to that location but uhg its a gold mine there :D these look pretty bad ass http://www.dustlessblasting.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but i can imagine what type of cash i need to invest in it.

Detective Coating

Post by Detective Coating » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 pm

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any alternatives to chemicals when dealing with aluminum. You could get a burn off oven, but you'll warp aluminum, you could blast the hell out of it but there goes the aluminum with it too. It'd be nice to have something else for situations like this though! Is it the location that you'll see more traffic and just in the boonies now or completely different town that would bring in new work? Those systems are a pretty penny and probably wouldn't help you any on the smaller stuff. You'd be blasting valve covers a football field away the first time you hit it haha. I know the place I buy media from has one that mostly deals with pool supplies/maintenance and they charge 10k+ to blast a pool and they have it done in 2 days so that should give you an idea of how much overhead that thing has.

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Detective Coating wrote:Here's what you do then. Before you sign a lease, attempt to work without the use of any chemicals. Your time is $ and spending hours blasting off shit that took you 10 minutes in a chemical bath is going to eat up that $ difference that you see with moving there. If he doesn't want any type of chemicals, makes me wonder how he'd be with blasting/powder dust, etc. I'd have a very hard time taking a big step backwards like that. I'm sure we all remember how bad it sucked to strip parts before we knew of good chemicals or before we had a decent blaster. We worked our asses off during that stage and found/made, better/more efficient ways of doing things to save us time and money. Going back to that is just wasting time and money, if you don't have to, in my opinion. I'd pass on the opportunity and maybe look for another building in the area, if it's the area that is going to bring in more revenue.
^ I agree with that 100%.