advice on compressor PICS

All things Air Compressor Related
CRF250Xrider
My Location: Estados Unidos

advice on compressor PICS

Post by CRF250Xrider » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:49 pm

(moderators move to compressors, sorry)
this compressor is for sale 900 bucks, running perfectly fine supposedly... what yall think? would this be good for a blast setup? let me know critisms and comments asap guys LoL. from what ive gathered is that its not a screw compressor but a v8 motor with 4 cilinders running as the motor and the other 4 cilinders are the ´´piston compressors´´ but its rated at 125cfm @ 100psi

crash32301
My Location: boise

Re: advice on compressor PICS

Post by crash32301 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:37 pm

great buy if it works plenty of cfm for blasting
Mark
Boise Idaho

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:14 am

Most of the time they are portable ones but some are fixed units like that one.

Check the hours on it. The motor I think is a 351 and they first started out with 460's and my friend has one of them that I have worked on.

The key is how well it has been serviced I guess.

Looks like not problem finding a manual for it.

https://www.google.com/#q=grimmer+schmi ... ice+manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boostnm3
My Location: North Carolina

Post by boostnm3 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:11 am

Thats a great deal for that if it starts and runs. They are fairly easy to work on since they are so basic compared to a diesel compressor.

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:39 am

As others have said good deal if it runs but also you need to know what condition the internals are so if you can't hear/see it run you have no clue. If the rings are shot it won't produce for shit and it may smoke/burn oil. Does the rods knock cause the bearings are shot. Basically you need to approach this as you would a motor you want to buy but can't hear it run. Will the guy start it and run it for a few minutes? Gas engine should be easy to rig up to run.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CRF250Xrider

Post by CRF250Xrider » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:15 pm

thanks guys, and yes it starts soo i would be able to see it running, my commercial blaster friend would go with me to check it out. but hes never owned one of these, he only has diesel screw compressors

CRF250Xrider

Post by CRF250Xrider » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:45 pm

i went and saw it, runs great and pumps a ton of air. but i would be into a way larger investment than i can afford to be able to blast with it i belive, i would have to build a blast room, filtration, hood, forced air, etc, i think it would be a bigger then my pocket thing at the moment,

crash32301
My Location: boise

Post by crash32301 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:42 pm

You need to look in the future is this something that you will need ? can you afford to sit on it till you have the cash to build everything else ? I've purchased equipment and tools knowing that I won't put them to use right away , guess I think of it as a puzzle knowing what pieces I need to bring the business to the level , I'm always looking for the next item
Mark
Boise Idaho

CRF250Xrider

Post by CRF250Xrider » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:26 pm

thats very true, thank you

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 am

A quick thought, just because it's big doesn't mean you have to be setup to it's max abilities. It can still be used with small equipment it just won't run long recover times, it doesn't have to be set at high pressures, and it will give you a compressor to build for the future.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;