Ingersoll Rand 5-HP Air Compressor VS Other

All things Air Compressor Related
mtg125
My Location:

Re: Ingersoll Rand 5-HP Air Compressor VS Other

Post by mtg125 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:33 pm

mtg125 wrote:
RiegelPC wrote:For those who have the 5hp 80 Gallon version how does it keep up with sandblasting?
with the right nozzles it will keep up and if you are blasting bare metal or paint it will be fine. If you dont have a stripping set up or a commercial blaster you can use I would suggest way more compressor than this.

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:45 pm

mtg125 wrote:
RiegelPC wrote:For those who have the 5hp 80 Gallon version how does it keep up with sandblasting?
with the right nozzles it will keep up and if you are blasting bare metal it will be fine. If you dont have a stripping set up or a commercial blaster you can use I would suggest way more compressor than this.
+1
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shockwavepc
My Location:

Post by shockwavepc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:37 pm

I thought that I replied to this thread about my IR 5hp 80 gallon being a beast. I bought it used and it was in a body shop. Well I've used it for 2.5 years with no problems until yesterday. Mine is the older version with the emerson motor which went up on me. I was powder coating and the compressor kicked on while someone else was blasting and all of the sudden I saw a huge spark (seemed like a flame as my back was facing it). I thought it was the pressure switch and quickly found out that I am not the only one who has had this problem (the emerson motors are known for this). I still love the compressor and am debating on whether or not to go buy a new one and use my tank or just upgrade to the largest one I can run in the garage.

Carey

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:36 pm

You could just replace the motor. Graniger sells one that works great with them for like $400.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!

shockwavepc
My Location:

Post by shockwavepc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah I saw replacement motors for $400-550 and at Tractor Supply they have the same compressor for $1099 or something like that. I may just buy a new compressor and use this as an extra tank. My other dilemma is that I have in my near future a 50hp compressor that I'll have access to. Just trying to do the pros and cons of my compressor situation....Fix it or buy a new one.

Carey

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:31 am

Sometimes a tough call. The big difference would be cash the more ya spend the more ya have to have. If you're going to a bigger compressor down the road and you think this one will last with a new motor I would save the extra cash and fix this one. Thats me.
Harley

shockwavepc
My Location:

Post by shockwavepc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 am

Harley

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I found an electric motor repair shop. Dropped it off yesterday and the confirmed some of the problems. They're installing new contacts, 1 capacitor (it was reading low), new bearings, and cleaning the unit. There was a lot of powder, dust, and who knows what else in there. He said it was still very clean from what he sees on a daily basis!

$100 and I'm back in business. However I took a look at my pressure switch and it looked like my contactor on one side welded together. I pulled the contacts, cleaned them off and as soon as I get the motor back I'll see if it works. I have a video of what the motor did if anyone wants a laugh.

Carey

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:08 am

shockwavepc wrote:Harley

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I found an electric motor repair shop. Dropped it off yesterday and the confirmed some of the problems. They're installing new contacts, 1 capacitor (it was reading low), new bearings, and cleaning the unit. There was a lot of powder, dust, and who knows what else in there. He said it was still very clean from what he sees on a daily basis!

$100 and I'm back in business. However I took a look at my pressure switch and it looked like my contactor on one side welded together. I pulled the contacts, cleaned them off and as soon as I get the motor back I'll see if it works. I have a video of what the motor did if anyone wants a laugh.

Carey
Cool. Glad to hear you got it took care of very reasonble. Post the vid I'll watch it.
Harley

shockwavepc
My Location:

Post by shockwavepc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Here is what my compressor did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ehIwMYlQYk

hjeades

Post by hjeades » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 pm

:shock: :lol:
Harley